Bald Head Island is known for its laid back atmosphere. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of entertaining things to do and see. The charming North Carolina island found two miles across the Cape Fear River from Southport has everything you need to enjoy the best vacation possible. A fun way to explore the island is by wandering in and out of the shops on Bald Head Island.
Whether looking for a new swimsuit or something to remember your trip by, the shops here have it all. You never know what you’ll stumble upon wandering the streets. Hop in your golf cart and set off from your Bald Head Island Services to see what you can find.
Where to Go Shopping on Bald Head Island
- Riverside Adventure Company has your beach attire needs covered. Found in the Marina, the store is filled with carefully selected fashion, accessories, and Bald Head Island Limited branded gifts.
- Bald Head Blues embraces the island’s lifestyle. The clothes here are the perfect blend of casual and classic. You can even find accessories for your four-legged family members.
- Browse framed maps spanning centuries at Antique Maps & More. This spot also offers complimentary nature and scavenger hunt maps to help you explore Bald Head Island.
- Island Passage is the epitome of chic beach style. Located on Maritime Way, the store has clothing for the whole family. Be sure to pick up one of their comfy sweatshirts for those cooler North Carolina nights.
- Find an outfit for date night at Monkee’s of Bald Head Island. The upscale boutique has everything you need to create the perfect look, including shoes and accessories.
- Found on the Bald Head Island Conservancy campus, the Turtle Central Gift Shop helps support the nonprofit’s mission. Browse the shelves lined with toys, accessories, clothes, and home decor items.
- If you’re looking to bring a piece of island-style home with you, stop by Room Service. This spot offers a mix of new and vintage home items and gifts, many of which are one-of-a-kind.
Bald Head Island Rentals | The Perfect Place to Call Home
Staying at a rental from Bald Head Island Services means everything from wandering local shops to spending a day at the beach is right around the corner. Our staff is local, meaning we have tried and experienced all the activities and attractions we recommend to our guests. Having on-island staff also means we can quickly resolve any issues that arise.
Call 910-363-4955 to speak with a member of our reservation staff. They can help you determine which of our Bald Head Island rentals best suits your group’s needs and wants. Get a jump start on planning your North Carolina vacation by browsing our inventory online today.
There’s no shortage of breathtaking sights to enjoy on a Bald Head Island vacation. Take in picturesque views from the back porch of your Bald Head Island Services rental. Watch the waves roll in while relaxing on the beach. There are also several natural attractions to explore that are known for showcasing the beauty of this North Carolina island. The reason so much of the island has retained its native nature and wildness is thanks to the Bald Head Island Conservancy. Keep reading to learn more about this group and the work it does.
What Is the BHIC?
Founded in 1983, the Bald Head Island Conservancy (BHIC) is focused on barrier island conservation. One of the group’s main missions is to champion the sustainability of barrier islands like Bald Head Island. The Conservancy helps to sponsor and facilitate scientific research that benefits coastal communities.
What Does the Group Do?
BHIC is known for hosting several recreational and educational activities. When planning your stay at one of our Bald Head Island rentals, take a look at the program calendar to see what is being offered during your vacation. Popular activities include:
- Nature exploration tours: Explore some of the island’s most picturesque natural locations.
- Beach patrol ride-along: This activity, offered during the summer, allows participants to look for and see sea turtles in their natural habitat.
- BHI After Dark: Wander forests, marshes, and wetlands to witness the nocturnal wildlife that call Bald Head home.
- Kayak the Creeks: Head out on a guided kayak trip to see the island from a new point of view.
- NC Coastal Explorers – Touch Tank: Meet and learn about the aquatic creatures that live in the saltwater tanks at the Conservancy.
Start Planning Your Summer Vacation
It’s never too early to start planning your summer escape! Checking out all the activities the Bald Head Island Conservancy offers is an excellent addition to your itinerary. Starting the planning process early gives you a better chance of reserving your top rental option from Bald Head Island Services. Brush up on important golf cart safety tips and set off on memorable adventures from your North Carolina home base.
Our inventory, which includes rooms at Marsh Harbour Inn, includes spacious and luxurious rentals all over Bald Head Island. Whether looking for ocean views or something on the golf course, we have the perfect home for you. To learn more about our Bald Head Island vacation rentals, call 910-363-4955.
For anyone planning a getaway to Bald Head Island, one of the first things you need to do is book your spot on the ferry. However, as you book transportation, you’ll soon realize this vessel is a passenger-only ferry. Because of this, there are two primary sources of transportation on the island. One is bikes, and the other main way of getting around Bald Head Island is a golf cart rental.
When you choose a vacation rental from Bald Head Island Services, not only will you have a relaxing space to call home, but you’ll also have access to top-of-the-line golf carts. This means you have one less thing to worry about. Ensure everyone stays safe while having fun by brushing up on important laws and safety tips.
What to Know about Driving Golf Carts
Several of the laws that apply to driving a car apply to driving golf car rentals. In order to drive a golf cart on Bald Head Island, you must have a valid driver’s license. There are also enforced speed limits, and you cannot operate the cart while intoxicated.
In addition to the laws surrounding these vehicles, there are several other safety tips to remember.
- Make sure everyone is wearing the seat belt or holding onto the grab rails. Everyone should also keep their entire body inside the cart while moving.
- Do not have more people than there are seats. For example, don’t try to squeeze a fifth person on if your golf cart only has four seats.
- Indicate your turn with either turn signals or hand signals.
- Keep your cart off sidewalks and on the roadway.
- If taking a sharp turn, do not go at a high speed.
- Golf carts are quieter than cars, so honk at intersections to ensure other approaching vehicles or pedestrians hear you.
- Set the parking brake and take the keys when you are done driving.
- Ride the brakes when going downhill to help reduce the risk of rollovers.
Discover the Benefits of a BHI Services Home
Having access to a golf cart rental is only one of the perks that come from renting with Bald Head Island Services. Our homes also come with bed linens, a starter dish and laundry soap supply, and more. Our kitchens have everything you need to create delicious meals.
In addition to basic necessities, our Bald Head Island rentals have fantastic amenities that’ll help enhance any stay, including memorable summer vacations! See if your chosen home has the option of purchasing access to the clubs on the island. Call 910-363-4955 to speak with a team member and learn which of our fantastic rentals best fits your wants and needs.